Thursday, June 26, 2003

Weather With You
Late Spring is when the winds off the Pacific shift from W to NW; hence, days usually begin and end with a cool haze of fog all along the coast. Occasionally (like maybe once every other year) the winds will shift radically and come from the southeast. When this happens, temperatures in the Bay Areas (SF and Monterey) rise dramatically. We're in the middle of one of those radical shifts right now. I know this, because I started my day in SC (high 92°), went to the city (SF) for lunch (high 95°), and finished my day in the Valley (high 101°). It wasn't as bad as 2 years ago, when the temp in SF rose to 103° - I remember it well, because I was trapped in my no-AC apartment recovering from surgery. Today the heat didn't bug me too much; probably all those years in Texas (high today in Austin: 96°).

Worst thing about the weather: It causes a thermal inversion in the Valley, so all the smog gets trapped. Coming down the hill, you see a dirty gray blanket over San Jose. You'd think there'd been a forest fire recently if you were anywhere else.

Best thing about the weather: It doesn't stay hot here. After sweltering all day in the Valley and the City, you come home to SC in the evening, roll down the windows, open the sunroof, and let in the delicious cool while you listen to Bebel Gilberto sing Samba e Amor. Any haze you see is just a whisp of fog.

No comments: