Monday, June 02, 2003

Panic, in Paradise
[NOTE TO S.: I didn't tell you all the details. Don't read this until you come home Thursday]

Took the dogs to Schwan Lake Park today. I started out intending to go the beach, but the fog was so thick (and I was worried about SM causing trouble without S. to help me wrangle her) that I opted for the Park instead.

Bad choice. It's the time of year when foxtail seeds start to mature - I'd thought we were safe until July or so. Mr. C was off leash and, as is his wont, decided to roll around in the tall grass at the end of the walk. He came up sneezing. Clueless, I laughed at first, thinking that he was getting a little taste of how SM feels with her allergies. Then he started sneezing a second time after we got home, and I began to get concerned. Our vet lives next door but unfortunately he was out. So I decided to wait for his return, keeping an eye on C. Then C.'s third sneezing attack spattered drops of blood on the wall in the hallway.

Blood will quickly move you from simple concern to outright panic. Greyhounds aren't babies, but they are a little more sensitive than some breeds. Interesting fact: they scream bloody murder about small things (getting their toenails cut, having their tails pinched, etc.) but are completely stoic about the big things once they're over the initial pain or shock. C.'s spasmodic sneezing was so violent he was banging his nose on the carpet. But when he stopped he didn't react any further - no whining, no nothing - which moved me to a whole new level of fear. I talked to the emergency vet (Pacific Vet) and quickly packed C. into the car and drove there. Interesting fact: I can be completely, totally panicked and still be able to function without getting hysterical.

The receptionist there told me C. was the 7th dog in today because of a foxtail seed getting lodged somewhere. She had a Borzoi - you meet sighthound people everywhere - and her calm manner helped us both relax a little. The vet had plenty of experience with greys and other sighthounds, so we decided she would put him under in order to be able to thoroughly clean out his nasal cavity.

They kept him there for a few hours, which gave me time to make Osso Buco for the H's which I'd promised I'd do earlier in the day. Interesting fact: I can make a fairly complex recipe even when I'm filled with panic and dread. The O.B. wasn't great, like most John Ash recipes we make are, but it wasn't bad. Certainly it was more productive than, say, hysterical paralysis.

C. seems fine, although his nose is dripping a little bit of blood (which the vet told me to expect) because it bled a lot (let's avoid words like profusely, ok?) during the procedure. She did find the foxtail seed in his nose and showed it to me. S. called and I told her about it, although I left the gorier parts out (hence the note at the top). I'd like to take him to work with me tomorrow, but that means leaving SM alone all day.

We're going to the beach tomorrow morning, because I know there's no foxtails there. In fact, I think I'll buy a tent and live there with the dogs for the next few months.

I know this is a long, boring post. But I'm still freaked, and writing about it makes me feel a little bit better.

No comments: