Monday, September 29, 2003

Life
Well, it turns out I have to order a Mac direct from Apple in order to get a 160-GB hard drive on an iMac, so it'll be 1-3 days before it arrives. So in the meantime, I'm consoling myself by reading all the stuff on their developers page. Here's what I got:

1.25 GHz iMac w/17" TFT (It's the one with the flat screen that comes out of the pod base)
1 GB memory
160 GB disk
Airport Extreme Base Station and Card
iPod w/20 GB

Eventually, I'll put a wireless card in the Brick (my 10-lb Dell Inspiron 7500), so that I can tote it around the house and take it to all the wi-fi enabled places around town. The added benefit of toting the brick is that it strengthens the back and builds up the biceps.

I didn't get a Powerbook, because there's a good chance my Dell notebook at work will get replaced with a Powerbook (Woo-Hoo!).
I didn't get a G5, because of the cost and because I'm figuring that I won't really care about 64-bit processing for a couple more years.

And the iMac should work great for S. All I have to do is buy a JetDirect Card for our HP printer and she'll be all set. Once she's switched over, I can convert the Tower (Dell Dimension 4100) to be a Linux Server.

And if I do get a Powerbook at work, I won't have to put up with WinDoze any more. Woo-Hoo!


No comments: