Sunday, August 24, 2003

Software
I've just about finished porting Chrysalis to MySQL; heck, I might even get it all checked in tonight. It's one of those I'm-glad-it's-over kind of things, because MySQL isn't particularly interesting to work with. Truth be told, it's a toy, not a full-fledged DBMS. It's very useful for lots of simple things, but so what? Of course, this is not a PC thing to say in the open-source world - putting down MySQL is the equivalent of questioning motherhood and apple pie.

But that's not what I really want to write about. I need to work on my own unfinished project instead of critiquing someone else's. God knows, I've got at least 6 more months of work to add features and support for other databases beyond this initial port. Of course, the port isn't really finished, either. I had to make a lot of changes to the structure of the code - even though I'd originally tried to write something that would be easy to port to multiple databases - and that means I need to take another pass through it and refactor it to make it coherent enough to understand and maintain. Among my goals when I write code is to make as clear and simple as possible. I can see how to get there with my current code base, but isn't really that close to meeting those goals. And the truth is that the code really isn't production quality yet because I haven't tested it or stressed it to any great degree. At least my versioning scheme is relatively honest - no one should mistake an 0.4 release for a finished product.

No comments: