Wednesday, May 14, 2003

Software
Richard Gabriel, discussing Alexander's Quality Without A Name as it pertains to software:
  • It was not written to an unrealistic deadline.
  • It modules and abstractions are not too big.
  • Any bad parts were repaired during maintenance or are being repaired now.
  • If I look at any small part of it, I can see what is going on.
  • If I look at any large part in overview, I can see what is going on.
  • It is like a fractal, in which every level of detail is as locally coherent and as well thought out as any other level.
  • Every part of the code is transparently clear.
  • Everything about it seems familiar.
  • I can imagine changing it, adding some functionality.
He then asks, "Think about the quality without a name when you look at your software. Do you think your software possesses it? What would you do to make your software have it?"

No comments: